Healthy Lifestyle

Your fIrst point of contact is DVA to see what your entitlements are, however; please seek assistance from a qualified advocate and wellbeing officer near you for further information and support.

DVA States

"Things you should know"

  • We don't pay for gym memberships or general exercise programs outside of your treatment sessions.

  • You will not need to pay access fees for gyms or pools if they are part of your treatment plan.

  • If you live in permanent residential aged care your eligibility for EP services may change.

  • If you have seen another exercise physiologist in the last 12 months be sure to let your current exercise physiologist know.

Most ex-service organisations (including advocacy) have wellbeing and welfare personnel to assist you with your healthy lifestyle needs.   

Search for an organisation near you:

Search an advocate organisation near you: 


REMEMBER:    Most health services covered by DVA require you to get a referral from your:

  • GP

  • Health Professional

  • Hospital

ALWAYS:    Confirm that your treatment is for an accepted service-related condition and that your chosen Health provider will accept your Veteran Gold Card or Veteran White Card for their services.

Search for a health professional near you:

Health Professional
Yoga Pose
Fit Woman
Yoga Class
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Practice

  • Chinese Medicine

  • Chiropractic

  • Dental practice

  • Medical practice (doctors)

  • Medical radiation practice

  • Nursing

  • Midwifery

  • Occupational therapy

  • Optometry

  • Osteopathy

  • Paramedicine

  • Pharmacy

  • Physiotherapy

  • Podiatry

  • Psychology

Image by Gabin Vallet

DVA States:  "Exercise physiology services must be provided by an exercise physiologist who is accredited by Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA) and is registered with Services Australia. 

DVA clients can be treated who has both:


  • a referral from their medical practitioner, medical specialist or hospital discharge planner which includes a diagnosis informing you of the patient's condition requiring clinically necessary treatment, and

  • a DVA Health Card (Gold Card or White Card) where the referral for treatment relates to a war-caused or service-related condition accepted by DVA.

DVA will pay for the DVA client to see an EP for clinically necessary treatment only. The EP can assist the DVA client with their recovery or self-management of referred conditions. It is expected the duration of treatment will be evidence and outcome-based, reasonable in time, and focus on exercise literacy to promote improved condition management and recovery, independent of the need for regular or ongoing treatment."


NOT DVA FUNDED?  Don't worry!

As with all other Allied Health services, exercise physiology is covered through a Medicare chronic disease management plan (CDMP). A CDMP can be issued by your G.P when you have been suffering from a condition or pain for longer than three months and likely to be present for at least six months 


Allied Health Professionals state "Accredited exercise physiologists specialise in clinical exercise interventions for people with a broad range of health issues. Those people may be at risk of developing, or have existing, medical conditions and injuries. The aims of exercise physiology interventions are to prevent or manage acute, sub- acute or chronic disease or injury, and assist in restoring one’s optimal physical function, health or wellness. These interventions are exercise-based and include health and physical activity education, advice and support and lifestyle modification with a strong focus on achieving behavioural change."

Have a look at our other similar topics