Your income stream can make a huge difference to your financial position and there are many Veterans who either don’t realise they qualify for a pension. Government allowances and concessions are often overlooked which means that .you may not be receiving the maximum entitled to you.  Financial Planners focus on helping you with advice on your current circumstances and the Advocacy groups are there to help you apply and access DVA benefits, which is what you may be entitled too. 

Image by Tierra Mallorca

Veterans may opt for a standard home loan or apply with a specialist lender that offers unique solutions for veterans. Three lenders that provide home loans as part of the DHOAS are Defence Bank, Australian Military Bank, and NAB. DSH loans are available through Westpac.

Home Loans

Defence Bank

Australian Military Bank




Associated insurances. Eligibility for each scheme is dependent upon your qualifying period of service.  providing tailored home building insurance for veterans

Defence Service Home Insurance Scheme

Health Insurance

Defence Health

LawRight increases access to housing, income and legal rights and improves the health and wellbeing of vulnerable people.

Find a qualified Advocate near you

Find a financial Advisor near you

Department of Defence Transitioning & Finances

DVA payments

"In most cases, we will have to accept liability for a physical or mental condition before we can pay you an income support payment  or   compensation.  You will need to apply via MyService to get us to accept liability."

Department of Defence  Current Serving & Families Finances

DVA & Overseas Information

Did you know?   

If you get a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Disability Compensation Payment at the Special Rate (totally and permanently incapacitated) paid under the Veterans’ Entitlement Act 1986, you will meet the manifest medical rules with Services Australia.  However, keep in mind, you will also need to meet the non-medical rules to get Disability Support Pension (DSP).

Manifestly Disabled

In order to prevent veterans claimants being sent to medical examinations that are unnecessary, Commission has defined 'manifest'.    1.1.M.30 Manifest grants (DSP) | Social Security Guide (


Definition of manifest – service pension

'Manifest' for service pension purposes means that the veteran clearly and obviously meets the invalidity service pension eligibility criteria, based on the presenting medical evidence available to the Department. No additional medical assessment or work capacity test is required for the decision maker to form an opinion regarding 'permanently incapacitated'.

Prepare for retirement

tractor & Caravan.jpg

Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)

ACAT assesses the medical, physical, cultural, psychological and social care needs of frail older persons to help them access a range of Australian Government-subsidised aged care services.

Prepare to change to age pension

From the DSP

Age Pension with Services Australia

Age Pension with DVA

Financial     Crisis      Support

Sphere on Spiral Stairs

Manage medicine and keep costs down

DVA offers financial aid and support services to help veterans organise and manage medicine and keep costs down.

The Financial Capability Initiatives Database provides a comprehensive overview of a wide range of financial capability programs delivered by Government, private and not-for-profit organisations. The database provides information on the program type, organisation, target audience, delivery method and links to the program website. Search the database to find out what financial capability programs are currently available.

Bravery Trust 

Bravery Trust is a registered business name of the Australian Defence Force Assistance Trust

Address: PO Box 20, Camden, NSW 2570




Phone: 1800 272 837

RSL DefenceCare

If you are a current or ex-serving veteran, or a family member of a veteran, who are experiencing financial hardship, RSL DefenceCare can help cover the cost of bills and household essentials. If you are struggling to find a place to live, or stay in your home, They may provide housing assistance.



Phone:  (02) 8088 0388


Welcome to Engage - Supporting Those Who Serve.  Engage is an online portal that current, transitioning, and former ADF members; their families, and/or those involved in their support can use to locate support services. Engage simplifies the process of accessing support by providing information on not-for-profit services available from a range of service providers.

Budgeting, Saving and spending guide

Juggling bills and debts?  for free financial counselling

Call the Helpline to speak to a financial counsellor 1800 007 007

Help for Small Businesses 1800 413 828

To find a financial counselling agency in your area Find a financial counsellor

The NDH also offers a live chat function for small businesses around Australia and individuals in the ACT, NSW, Tasmania and WA. Just click on the chat bubble at the bottom right of the page to get started.

Legal and financial advice